Loyola Medicine - Student Nurse Extern Program
We, Trinity Health, serve together in the spirit of the Gospel as a compassionate and transforming healing presence within our communities. As a ministry within Trinity Health, Loyola Medicine Nursing's mission is in service to this commitment through the Student Nurse Extern program.
The Loyola Medicine Student Nurse Externship Program (SNEP) is truly unique. It's a 12-month program that starts with an intensive, 10-week summer program during which the student nurse extern is matched with a nurse preceptor focused on (QSEN competencies) critical thinking skills, honing technical skills and learning how to prioritize care. Students will also participate in weekly educational activities designed to reinforce what they are learning in the clinical practice environment. Students will work independently in an assistive role as a patient care technician after the appropriate orientation.
After completion of the 10-week summer program, Student Nurse Externs will continue their employment within Loyola Medicine in a part-time/per diem position throughout their final year of nursing school, assigned to a nurse mentor who continues to guide their learning and contributions within the clinical practice environment. SNEs will meet quarterly as a cohort to participate in learning and sharing of experiences.
After successful completion of the 10-week intensive program, Student Nurse Externs in good standing will be invited to apply for our 2023 Nurse Residency Program. The Nurse Residency Program is designed to support and help new graduate nurses as they transition into professional practice. The program offers 12 months of structured support for newly licensed registered nurses. Our hope and expectation is that all eligible SNE's will secure a position in the residency program prior to completing their final of nursing studies.
Nurse Externship Program Requirements:
Candidates must be able to commit to the 12-month program per the following timeline & milestones:
- Scheduled for two to three 12-hour clinical shifts per week
- Participate in one hour of educational activities per week
- Work a minimum of one 12-hour shift per 8-week period (total of 5 shifts in 40 weeks) as a Patient Care Tech
- Your hours will be scheduled with your Patient Care Manager and aligned with your assigned preceptor, which may include:
- Day shift or night shifts
- 12-hour shifts
- Some weekend shifts
- No holidays or overtime
Units participating in the 2022 SNE program are as follows:
- Emergency Department
- General Medicine
- General Surgery
- Labor & Delivery
- Operating Room
Eligibility to Fast-track Nurse Residency Program
As a Student Nurse Extern, you will be eligible to apply between weeks 12-15 for a fast track Nurse Residency position for June, 2023.
Required Qualifications at time of application
- Be entering the final year of a(n) A.D.N, BSN or direct entry MSN program with graduation expected by spring of the following year
- Be enrolled full time in an accredited nursing program (A.D.N, BSN, Direct-entry MSN)
- BLS Healthcare Provider certified (AHA)
- One professional reference letter - Letter is required from a nursing instructor or academic advisor
- Copy of most recent transcript reflecting last semester grades
- GPA of 3.0 or higher required
- Evidence of interest: Please submit with your application:
- Personal essay: Write an essay addressing your personal statement on what being a nurse means to you and how you envision the Loyola Medicine Student Nurse Extern program will help you achieve your future goals as a Registered Nurse